Text message service offers tips for parents, caregivers
Ball State PBS has teamed up with Bright by Text to bring the informative messaging program to our community! The program, already offered in Colorado, New York, California, and other communities around the nation, offers parents and caregivers expert tips and resources for children prenatal to 5 right at their fingertips.
Did you know that in the early years a child’s brain is developing at a faster rate than it will at any other point in their life? The interactions that a child has with adult caregivers at this stage of their life set the foundation on which all later learning, behavior, and health depends.
Bright by Text helps parents and caregivers make the most out of these interactions by illustrating fun and easy activities, providing positive parenting tips and resources, tips for aiding a child’s physical development, and much more. The program is proven to build nurturing caregiver-child relationships, and positively impact a child’s healthy development and school readiness.
In addition to expert content, Bright by Text includes messages about events and resources specific to the Ball State PBS community, like free museum days, health clinics, and preschool open enrollment periods.
To sign up, parents and caregivers with children under 5 can text “WIPB” to 274448. They will receive 2 to 5 text messages per week, and each message includes a link to a landing page with more detail, short modeling videos, and links to related resources.
More about Bright by Text
- Free tips by text to help give your child a bright beginning
- Bright by Text provides quality information and trusted resources to parents and caregivers of children prenatal to five. Available in English and Spanish, the messages are comprised of research-based content from Bright by Three and partners such as PBS and Sesame Street.
- There is so much information out there about early childhood development, sifting through it to find what’s most relevant and research based can be challenging. The earliest years are the most critical, and we want to help. That’s why we give caregivers tools to cultivate the growth of their child during these stages.
- What is Bright by Text?
- Bright by Text sends free games, tips, and resources right to your cell phone. Messages are targeted to your child’s age and include information on child development, language and early literacy, health and safety, behavioral tips, and more!
- Who’s it for?
- Parents, grandparents, babysitters, aunts, uncles, neighbors, friends, teachers, and anyone else who’s interested can sign up!
- Why is it important?
- A child’s brain develops more rapidly in the earliest years than at any other point in their life. It’s important to get it right! Since kids don’t come with operating instructions, all parents can use a little back-up to make the most of this critical time.
- Children rely on interactive experiences and strong relationships with their parents and caregivers to develop, so we take a two-generation approach to have the most impact on the families we serve.
- History of Bright by Text
- In 2012 Bright by Three, the parent organization of Bright by Text, and researchers looked at new ways to serve and interact with parents and caregivers not being reached by the organization’s visitation program.
- After examining emails, mobile apps, and text messages, Bright by Three discovered that texts are the most interruptive form of communication experiencing the highest level of engagement without requiring a smartphone or costly data plan.
- In developing Bright by Text, Bright by Three also sought to connect families with valuable and often underutilized community services, and with the help of diverse partners, coordinated localized messages targeted to each family’s zip code. Integrating content from community partners around the country with Bright by Three’s research-based curriculum, Bright by Text guides parents to understand their child’s needs for success during the most pivotal stages of development with bite-sized tips and resources.
- In 2016, Bright by Text expanded outside Colorado, launching in six markets nationwide. The program has since continued to grow and add new markets as local partners sign on.
- Interested in bringing Bright by Text to your community? Contact us to find out more.
More about the text messages
- Bright by Text messages:
- provide developmental education and guidance based on the expected birthdate or age of a child up to 5
- synthesize content curated from partners such as Bright by Three, PBS, Vroom, and Sesame Street
- deliver relevant information about local resources and events where community partners exist
- link to a landing page with more learning materials including short modeling videos and related books
- are guided by a Content Advisory Board comprised of early childhood experts
For more information, contact Ball State PBS Community Engagement and Grants Manager Michelle Kinsey at email@example.com or (765) 285-5887.